Warren Blair Interview

Ketos by Warren Blair (Source: https://www.ketosband.com/gallery)



















Warren Blair is a photographer based in my hometown, Larne. He has had an interest in photography for the last fifteen years or so, but it has only been the last few years he has taken it seriously. A couple of years ago he began taking photos at gigs. Since then he has been photographing anything from bands to cosplayers.

Keeping on the theme of music, he has worked with a few bands. This includes having one of his photos featured in Conjuring Fate's album released last year. He has also worked with the band Ketos quite a bit as his work has been used in promotional material for Ketos and other bands.

Warrens career really began with his first photo shoot. This gave him the exposure he needed to take his hobby as an amateur photographer to a professional career path.

Warren has also been published in Barber NV Magazine as well as EQUAL Magazine, SOUR Magazine and Digital Photo Magazine. He even had the chance to have one of his photos used on the front cover of Missing Piece a novel by Lizzie James. His first photo shoot caught the attention of EQUAL Magazine and became his first publication as a professional photographer. 



Garrys Barber/ Titanic Denim Promotion by Warren Blair
(Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/WarrenBlairPhotography/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1538053809605812)

The questions (answered via Email)

What work do you find really inspires the work that you make?

Warren told me that he doesn't take inspiration from one particular artist or one genre of photography, instead, as he told me he uses multiple platforms to find interesting pieces of work. As he put it he uses "Purple Port, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube for inspiration". This opened me up to the possibilities of using these different platforms to find work to get inspired by. 

What do you think is the most important or favourite project that you have worked on and why was it important to you?

"I would have to say my very 1st photoshoot as it was the starting point in my career as a Photographer, and I’m so grateful to the Model for giving me the opportunity to shoot with her." 

Warren gives me the impression that he really valued his first opportunity that has led to a successful career of being published in a magazine, a novel cover and an album cover, as well as working with bands and many models over the last two years or so. 

What traits do you think makes someone a good media artist?

Warren was short and brief in answering this question, he said; "I would say that knowing your technique inside out is a big factor in making you a good media artist." 

Before graduating I want to follow his advice and improve my skills in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign to improve my design work. I hope that this will lead to a successful career in graphic design and will hopefully lead to working with many clients. 

What’s the best bit of your job, and what don’t you like about what you do?

"Meeting new people, making friends and visiting new and exciting locations is always fun. I would say that the worst part is that I can’t drive and this hinders me greatly." 

As someone who can drive, I hope that I will be able to meet clients in the future freely, rather than being hindered in the way that Warren is. As a photographer who travels around Co. Antrim and sometimes further, I'd imagine this is a frustrating part of his job. 

Nowadays almost everyone has access to devices with which it is possible to take pictures. What do you think is the difference between a professional photographer and any other hobby photographer? 

"Personally I would class a Professional Photographer as someone who has taken their hobby to the next step and developed it into a business." 

With the internet, it has become very easy to torrent software, including design software. Even though Warren works as a photographer and I want to become a designer, I think that this advice will be helpful in the future. I intend to improve my skillset so that I can take my work to the next level when I graduate and most likely go freelance. 


Missing Piece (Author Lizzie James) model photoed by Warren Blair
(Source:https://www.facebook.com/WarrenBlairPhotography/photos/a.1412415485502979.1073741872.988776321200233/1549578038453389/?type=3&theater) 

In his short career as a professional photographer, Warren has had some great opportunities to work with local bands that he loves. He has also had many opportunities to work with models, a few fashion shows and working with people looking for a professional photographer to capture special days e.g. weddings. 

I will take the answers that Warren gave me and apply them to my own career as a graphic designer and hopefully, someday I will be able to have a successful career as a freelance designer. 

Warren Blair Photography 

https://www.warrenblairphotography.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/WarrenBlairPhotography/
https://www.instagram.com/warrenblairphotography/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/warren-blair-090415149/


Comments